Sunday, June 6, 2010

Later this year in Jerusalem...



Here's what you may not know about Komen. This is the 30th anniversary of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Nancy Brinker, who I am seated with here on the set of Shannon Bream's show on Fox today, is the sister of Susan G. Koman who died of breast cancer. Thirty years ago, Nancy promised her sister that she would find a cure for breast cancer so no woman and her family would ever have to go through this again. Since then Komen has become the second largest donor to cancer research after the U.S. government. Since 2006 Komen has given 26 million dollars to study Triple Negative breast cancer (the kind I have and the kind Nancy Brinker had - she and her sister were both BRCA1 carriers.) Komen is in your corner if you are a woman and that is why they can get 40,000 people on a Saturday at 7 am to show up on the Mall in Washington to Race for the Cure. I used to be a bit annoyed when I would see the road closures and all that pink. I didn't 'get it' until I 'got it'. From now on I'll be out there wearing a whacky outfit and running beside women who are wearing t-shirts that say "These breasts are fake...my real ones tried to kill me." And "Save Second Base." I even hear that Apple has a new ap - the iTit. Don't ask. And on October 28 - a year and a month after I was diagnosed - I'll be in Jerusalem with my kids and Greg for another historic race. The first Race for a Cure in Jerusalem. The city walls are going to be pink and it will be a homecoming for our family that I will never forget.