Tuesday, June 1, 2010
And these are my Top 10 Nutritional Tips for Cancer patients:
Top ten nutritional tips for Breast Cancer Patients:
1) Eliminate all processed foods.
2) Eliminate everything white: sugar, white breads, white pasta and white rice.
3) Eliminate alcohol - more than 2 drinks a week can increase the chance of a recurrence by two-thirds, according to recent studies presented at the annual San Antonio Breast Conference.
4) Add a scoop of Chia seeds to your oatmeal, smoothies, or quinoa - chia are 'flax on steroids.' Read "Born to Run" about the Tarahumara tribe in Chihuahua, Mexico.
5) If you eat meat make sure it is all highest grade, grass fed, no hormones added.
6) Eliminate dairy - drain on your immune system, potential pathway of hormones into your body. There is a reason that Asian countries have low rates of breast cancer - they don't eat dairy.
7) Any fish should be wild caught - no predators that have high mercury levels. Farm raised - never.
8) Drink 6 cups of green tea a day. Drink filtered water, bubbly water and green tea only - sodas and juices have too much sugar - raises your glycemic level and insulin levels - no good for Triple Negative breast cancer in particular. I allow myself one cup of black coffee each morning because it is full of anti-oxidants. Never drink any bottled water from plastic bottles - think how much plastic leeches into that water when it is shipped and left baking in the sun. Add lemons and cucumbers and limes to your water for flavor and sleep with a pitcher of water next to your bed - make sure you have drunk it by morning.
9) Make sure that you have grain-based protein with every meal - steel cut oatmeal, quinoa, lentils, black beans - you will lose muscle mass during chemo, if you don't eat enough protein. Add a scoop of powdered protein to your organic frozen berry smoothies, if you need more protein.
10) Buy only organic fruits and vegetables - preferably locally grown and in season. Only buy organic berries - great anti-oxidants but be careful of the pesticides - remember Andrew Weil's Dirty Dozen - the 12 most pesticide-laden fruits and vegetables. Use fresh ginger for its anti-nausea qualities. Ginger and garlic and turmeric are great natural cancer fighting spices.
Two great go to breakfasts for chemo and after: steel cut Irish oatmeal, chopped walnuts (anti-inflammatory), chopped organic Medjool dates, agave nectar (the only sweetener I use because it has the lowest glycemic index and is made from cactus nectar. Or whole grain (darkest possible) toast with avocado and olive oil on top - and sea salt sprinkled on. Never use iodized salt - sea salt retains all of its natural minerals - refined salt loses any of its nutritional value.
Posted by Jennifer Griffin at 10:49 AM