Sunday, March 21, 2010

An enviable life...


My mom has always liked to send me obits. She always had a pile of clippings waiting for me when I walked through the door of 500 N. View Terrace - our childhood home. I would groan but I would always enjoy reading them. She would quiz me and my siblings assuming that we did not read them. She clipped for each of us according to our interests and always with a point. Her obsession was not morbid by clipping the obituary. It was to say, "That was a life worth living." I came across this obit tonight and it took me aback because Margaret Moth had been a familiar face in the field whether we were in Jerusalem or Pakistan. I think I first saw her in Iran traveling with Christiane. I doubt she knew who I was. She had made a name for herself in Bosnia, a war that I didn't cover. Among the first female cameramen, she died today of colon cancer at age 59 - 18 years after many thought she wouldn't survive a sniper shot to the face in Sarajevo.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/21/margaret.moth.obit/index.html