Sunday, March 28, 2010
* There are 500 new breast cancer cases a day diagnosed in America, 192,370 cases diagnosed a year and more than 40,000 women will die of breast cancer this year (I would describe this as an epidemic - 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed in her lifetime!)
* Survivors have a 200-600 percent chance of developing a second cancer compared to others. (That's why I am getting the double!)
* Low Vitamin D3 levels (the vitamin we get from sun exposure) can increase your chance of getting breast cancer by 70 percent. One study found low D3 led to a 200 percent chance of your cancer progressing and 73 percent greater risk of death. Get your D3 tested now - it is a simple blood test and if it is below 50ng/mL do something about it - now. Test it a few times a year. You need 50 percent of your body in the sun for 30 minutes a day.
* Studies show diets high in sugar (processed sugar and high glycemic index) cause spikes in insulin and stimulate tumors to grow and can contribute to breast cancer - especially Triple Negative.
* Drinking alcohol increases your risk of breast cancer. One drink a day increases your risk by 7 percent. Alcohol increases your estrogen. A study in the Journal of Clinical Oncology found that survivors who have one or more drinks per day have a 90 percent - 90 percent! increased risk of recurrence. Medicinal marijuana, anyone? Darn.
* When you get a mammogram and they say you have "dense breast tissue" you could be at a greater risk.
* Eat: raw carrots - Harvard researchers have found young women who eat 2 or more servings of carotenoid-rich fruits and vegetables (oranges, broccoli, carrots, romaine lettuce and spinach) had a 17 percent lower risk of breast cancer.
* Green tea consumption may reduce your breast cancer risk by up to 53 percent. 2 - 4 cups a day. Make a pot - and drink it cold too in summer. Univ of Southern Cal found green tea lowered breast cancer risk by up to 53 percent.
* A few apples a day may keep breast cancer at bay - eat them with skins.
* High fiber foods lower your risk by 42 percent.
* Omega-3 oils from salmon (wild caught only please) reduce your risk by up to 94 percent.
* Flaxseed may reduce risk by 54 percent, according to recent studies - eat your lignans! Chia count too.
* 2 ounces - just half a handful - of walnuts per day reduces your risk.
* Pomegranates - of which we had a beautiful tree in the yard of our Jerusalem home - may reduce breast cancer risk by up to 87 percent, according to another recent study.
* We all know about broccoli and cancer hates cabbage! Broccoli actually kills cancer cells, according to some studies.
* A low-glycemic index diet may lower your risk by 253 percent - extra stored fat produces estrogen - glycemic foods cause a cascade of hormones. Eliminate now: desserts, candies, cakes, sweets, sodas, ice cream (ugghh!), white bread, sugar, honey, jelly and alcohol - yep, alcohol. You may ask, "Why live?" But I can tell you there is truth to this.
All of this information has been compiled by Dr. Aaron Tabor, Winston-Salem NC
For more information, read Dr. Aaron Tabor's book: "Fight Now: eat and live proactively against breast cancer"
or e-mail him at: DrTabor@fightBCnow.com
Posted by Jennifer Griffin at 6:24 PM